Hello, wonderful creative writer ❤️ I’m glad you’re here today, because I’m going to share with you the life-changing art of digital minimalism. Ever since I got on board with DM, my creativity has sky-rocketed.
Focusing on my writing, not social media.
It dawned on me that I’m not getting a paycheck from Instagram. My dreams and hopes aren’t centered on making Mark Zuckerberg more money. When I was a teenager, I didn’t daydream about being really cool on Twitter.
And, to be truly honest with you, I don’t super enjoy social media. I’m happiest in my life when I’m hyper-focused (to the point that I sometimes forget to eat!) on my writing. That state of flow fills me with warm contentment.
Enter digital minimalism!
I took a month-long break from social media. I stopped thinking of it as part of my life, and ignored it for weeks at a time. The result was a full thrill-ride novella, a writer’s block on my WIP removed, and a deep feeling of peace.
But what is digital minimalism?
Digital Minimalism is a book by Cal Newport, one of my favorite non-fiction authors. It explains the effects of having too much media in our lives. Effects such as lower attention span (did you get this far down the blog without skimming? Congrats! You’re one of the few) and the inability to simply FOCUS.
DM is all about making technology work for you, not the other way around. It’s about re-discovering “solitude,” which means being free from outside thought– which includes social media, news, and books.
Ever wonder why your best thoughts come up in the shower? Solitude, my friend.
Before digital minimalism:
- Social media was like a gnat, bothering me at all times. It was that feeling of having forgotten something… but what?
- It was hard to read more than one paragraph at a time.
- I stopped several times while writing to check notifications.
After digital minimalism:
- I only use the social media I enjoy: WordPress and Instagram. That’s it. And I only use them at a set time ~ they are ignored the rest of the day.
- I can see my focus becoming laser-sharp!
- I’m writing creatively like it’s nobody’s business.
A Quick How To:
I recommend you read the book, but here’s some helpful tips.
- Eliminate all social media that is distracting you without helping you.
- Ask yourself: Is [social media] helping me meet my goals? Be honest. Is SEO a high goal when you can just buy ad space?
- Go on a social media/news “detox.”
- After your detox, be very picky about what technology you allow back in your life.
The book that changed it all.
Here is the book, and this is not an affiliate link. It’s just a link to Amazon to help you out. Also, I read this book free through my library ebook app, so that’s also an option.
I also recommend his other books, Deep Work (which is another book I love 😍😍😍) and So Good They Can’t Ignore You.
I really do hope you pick up the book, because it is truly life-changing.
Take care, my friend!
🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜